THE CLASS OF 2006
I read a good one today, so I tought I post it here
THE CLASS OF 2006
Just in case you weren’t feeling old enough today, this will
certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in
Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the Faculty a sense of
the mindset of this year’s incoming freshman.
Here is this year’s list:
The people who are started college this past fall across the nation were
born in 1984.
* They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.
* They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
* There has been only one Pope in their lifetime.
* They were 10 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.
* Tianamen Square means nothing to them.
* Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
* Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.
* The statement “You sound like a broken record” means nothing to them.
* They have never owned a record player.
* They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
* They may have never heard of an 8 track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
* They have always had an answering machine.
* Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV.
* They have always had cable.
* There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA was.
* They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
* They don’t know what a cloth baby diaper is, or know about the “Help me, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” commercial.
Feeling old Yet? There’s more:
* They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.
* Roller skating has always meant inline for them.
* Michael Jackson has always been white.
* Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
* They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
* Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
* They have never seen Larry Bird play.
* They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
* The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as W.W.I, W.W.II and the Civil War.
* They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
* They can’t imagine what hard contact lenses are.
* They don’t know who Mork was or where he was from. (The correct answer, by the way, is Ork)
* They never heard: “Where’s the beef?”, “I’d walk a mile for a
Camel,” or “De plane, de plane!”
* They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was.
* Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not bands.
* There has always been MTV.
* They don’t have a clue how to use a typewriter.
Do you feel old now?